Vegan & Gluten Free Baked Roasted Red Pepper & Zucchini Mac & Cheese
Baked Mac & Cheese is the ULTIMATE comfort food for me. I packed in red peppers, zucchini, and onions or extra nutrients and topped this beauty with crispy bread crumbs for a nice crunch.
This recipe serves 8
- 1 pound gluten free macaroni, cooked
- 1 cup vegan sour cream (I like Vegan Gourmet brand)
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1 (2 cup) bag of Daiya cheddar cheese shreds
- 1 zucchini (cubed), 1 red pepper (cubed), and 1/2 of a yellow onion (cubed) - toss all veggies in 1 tsp of olive oil. Sautee in a pan on medium heat until veggies are golden brown and tender
- Gluten free bread crumbs (I added a pinch of salt, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, and 1 T fresh chopped parsley to mine)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
To make the cheese sauce, bring sour cream and broth to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and add in cheese. Whisk until melted. Don’t worry if the cheese doesn’t melt completely - it will smooth out once it is added to the pasta.
Toss the cheese sauce into the cooked pasta, along with the veggies. Pour the entire mixture into your prepared baking pan and top with bread crumb. Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are browned.
If you can resist it, allow to cool so that the casserole can be cut into squares.